The Land of Coconuts

Monday, February 05, 2007
When it comes to traveling, even my ‘lazy’ base forgets that it is lazy.
:D

Duration:
3 days, 2 nights
Places Covered: Cochin & Munnar
Budget: It’s Free, yes FREE !! (If ur Dad happens to be ur ATM)

…We chose the bus as our mode of transport. After traveling for around eleven hours, what I first saw in Cochin was the rising sun. Crimson red reflection on the waters of Periyar(Aluva); big hoardings, advertising gold and sarees; churches filled with Sunday masses; serene atmosphere; was the first impression of this lovely place. Finally, I had made it to Kerala, one place that I always wanted to visit…
*YAWN* :O


I’ll bag the Pulitzer or Noble if I don’t stop (ok, now at least let me live in delusion for sometime )!! I want to give my “Uncut Diamonds” a chance!!
*wink*
:D

What I Just Loved about Kerala:


  • The People
  • Boats (Kettuvallam (Houseboat), Speed boat)
  • The Pristine Nature
  • Banana chips
  • Coconut trees
  • The Tapered roof

Places that I visited:

  • Vaikom - the House boat & circling 26 Islands; Where the Guide pointed to one of the islands n said confidently “…on that island, 4 families stay…”. We nodded like good school students. I mean even if he had told us that one the elephants on that island gave birth to a donkey by mistake, we had no other go; but to nod (with no option to cross check).

  • Munnar - Hilly Terrain, the Tea gardens (I wanted to roll on them; I still want to; Hope i will one day)
  • Mattupetty Lake & the Speed Boat
  • Cherai Beach
  • Synagogue n the Dutch Museum
    It has a * Phoren Effect *

    The streets give the “not in India” effect. More foreigners, less Indians

What’s different in Kerala:

  • Jeera Water (water which has been boiled with some Jeera(cumin seeds) in it)
  • Vegetables are costlier than fishes.
  • MG Road is deserted on Sundays and almost ALL shops are closed

What I can’t forget about Kerala:

  • The Waiter, he banged the coffee cups on our table. I guess he was unhappy cuz we wanted coffee ONLY.
  • The Guide, who enlightened us with the knowledge like - “this is the Tulsi Plant”!!
  • Masala Dosas, which I struggled to finish cuz’ I didn’t quite like the taste of coconut oil.
  • The Battle which I fought with the Battalion of Mosquitoes.
    Sadly, They Won :(
  • But Hey!! I did manage to take “My khoon ka badlaa”(Revenge for my Blood?!) by massacring 4 Mosquitoes in the bathroom the next day.
    :D

What one should NOT forget when going to Kerala:

  • Camera
  • Dhoti (or a colourful Lungi)
  • Mosquito Repellent. (Thanks to which I survived the second night! :))
  • Purpose of writing this post:
    Fighting Boredom in Office. Blogging is better than reading JSP.

    Love :)

    5 Comments:

    Unknown said...

    Oh this was a lovely post... smiled all the way!


    ..why not study the JSP and get the Nobel prize too??!
    :P



    You write so darned well. Oh!.. but envy is sin, ey?? :D

    Nebula said...

    Thanks :)
    ... That was really a Noble thought !!
    Will Try :D

    Btw, Envy or Modesty ?!*wink*

    Angel said...

    Ah I love travelogues! :D
    And I especially like the way you bring out the funny details that bring the post alive! :D

    Nebula said...

    ...Hope to keep moving n coming up with more such travelogues! ;)
    & Thankyou!! :)

    wanderlust said...

    interesting 'events' :)
    well written CP!

    but having beem to munnar and wayanad, i kinda have a different feeling towards tht state. truly a god's own country!